Talent Management 101: The Ultimate Competitive Advantage
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry • April 2012
Charles Cohen, Managing Partner, Benco .
Objective: Improve your knowledge & confidence about the most important decisions you’ll make in your dental career.
Be a leader.
• Become a student of leadership. And management.
• Define success for the team.
• You are most on stage when you’re not on stage.
• You’re (probably) the VP of HR.
It’s all about the people.
• Great practices have great people.
• The toughest decisions are about people. And the most rewarding decisions are about the people.
• The conundrum of existing employees.
• Hire slow, fire fast.
• Reward talent. Pay top dollar.
Make it a family business.
• The best of times. The worst of times.
• The goal: High Conflict, High Cohesion.
Build a culture.
• Culture: How people act when no one is watching.
• The soft skills are hard. And critical.
• Set expectations high for yourself & your people.
• Hire for attitude, train for skills.